2017 Santa Monica Code of Conduct
The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: 1) Trustworthiness, 2) Respect, 3) Responsibility, 4) Fairness, 5) Caring, and 6) Good Citizenship.
The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these six values. I therefore agree as follows:
1. I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
2. I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
3. I will never belittle the efforts of the players or staff, and may make only positive comments to players on either team including but not limited to verbal comments and postings on social media.
4. I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team or have been asked by the team staff to assist.
5. I will encourage my child to treat other players, coaches, officials, and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex, or ability.
6. I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never confront coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place. I agree to a 24 hour cooling off period before holding a discussion with a coach or manager.
7. I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing good sportsmanship, respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials, and spectators at every game and practice.
8. I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
9. I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participants for making a mistake or losing a competition.
10. I will emphasize skill development, practices, and how they benefit my child over winning.
11. I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all softball events.
I also agree that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned rules and guidelines, I will be subject to disciplinary action that could include, but is not limited to the following:
• Verbal warning by official, head coach, and/or head of league organization
• Written warning
• Parental game suspension with written documentation of incident kept on file
• Game forfeit through the official or coach
• Parental season suspension